Let’s get shakin!!!
Let me start by saying as an adult I realize any teacher that had the misfortune of having me in his or her class deserves a medal and an apology, not a cupcake or dessert. I was a more a nightmare than teacher’s pet. Luckily it was a phase (or I think it was). For some reason most of them like me now and I have a unique respect for them.
Anyway, if you have a child like I was you should probably start now trying to make up for it. But even if you are one of the few that has a good child it’s always nice to show your gratitude. Going out of your way for our teachers is something special, southern, polite, and in my opinion not done often enough. Thank those teachers with these homemade treats you put atop your favorite (or store bought) cupcakes are a perfect way to say thank you.
Apple Cupcake toppers
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) brick cream cheese, softened
- 36 OREO Cookies, finely crushed (about 3 cups)
- 16 oz red candy disks, melted
- Pretzel sticks or Tootsie Rolls
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- green food coloring
- MIX cream cheese and cookie crumbs until blended.
- SHAPE into 48 (1-inch) apples.
- Place pretzel stick into the top of truffle, or cut Tootsie Roll into piece and roll into the shape of a stem.
- Freeze 10 min. Dip balls in melted candy; place in single layer in shallow waxed paper-lined pan.
- When the candy coating is set mix the powdered sugar, milk and green food coloring in a small bowl.
- Place icing in a piping bag fitted with a small round tip, or in a zip-top bag with a tiny bit of the corner snipped off. Pipe on leaves. Allow the truffles to set up. Then top your cupcakes with them
Remember, “treat your kitchen, treat yourself”
Uniquely southern, surely the best
Chef Hunter Lee